Nov 18, 2007

Patty's In Town

I got to see my good friend, Patty, last night. This is the first time I've seen her since she moved back to West Virginia in 1991. We've kept in touch through letters and calls, but not nearly as much as we could have. Tonight, I went to meet with her at her friend Patsy's house. It was great, but strange to think of how much time has passed. Patsy's son, Butch, was there. The last time I saw him, he was about 15. Now he's a grown man of 32, who left the Army as a Captain after 13 years of service. Amber, Patty's granddaughter was there, and she's now 19 and 6'3". It was nice to hear that books I gave to Butch years ago, were not only used by him over the years, but he still has them. That was very cool, a high compliment in my mind.

I've missed Patty a lot over the years, so my drive home from the country in the rainy dark night was a lonely one. I got lost a few times, but eventually made my way home exhausted and spent. I am going to have to visit West Virginia at some point. With 41 West's on the mountain and Patty and Bob just a few hours away, I think it is inevitable that I pay West Virginia a visit. Patty leaves on Monday and I am already missing her terribly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's so good to spend time with the people you love. It puts everything BACK into perspective. What a great photo.