Nov 6, 2007

Composting is Beautiful

Saturday morning I got up and decided to check the progress of the contents of the composter. I've been surprised at how little this thing smells. We don't put meat in it, so that helps. I did put some shrimp in it in the beginning, and the results were not pretty. You live and you learn.
This is the site that greeted me when I peeked inside. Lots of egg shells, coffee grounds, flower stems, onions and avocado shells. There are lots of little bugs in there breaking everything down. Composting is so cool to me.
I added what we had collected over the week, mostly clementine orange rinds, tomatoes from some spaghetti and from salsa (Con picks them out), lettuce and more egg shells. It's a strangely pretty mix to me.
This is a shot of the contents after I gave our compost salad spinner a couple of turns. At this point, there was a mild odor. I hate to say it, but the decomposition of vegetable matter can take on a fecal scent. It's not enough to deter me from composting though. Since we started recycling and composting, we have found that our once overflowing trash can goes to the curb half empty week after week, and we feel pretty good about that.

No comments: