Mar 29, 2008

Peaceful Saturday


SGI Kaikon by Finijo


I went to slow gongyo this morning and then spent the afternoon hanging out with friends and chanting. It was a very peaceful day. I've been stressed out lately and needed the respite, so it was very welcome.

I think one of the reasons that I have been drawn to Buddhism over the years is the connection I see between Buddhism and Existentialism. I identified Existentialism as a philosophy that I could relate to when I was still in high school (three cheers for Emerson). The feeling that I am ultimately responsible for my life, my choices, my happiness and the relationships I have, fits well with Buddhism and with Existentialism.

This is a prayer that was recently given to me, which epitomizes the way I hope that Buddhism will help me to deal with the negative aspects of my life and my attitude.

Zange
(Buddhist Apology)

APPRECIATION:

For having the Gohonzon
For being able to change my Karma
For being alive at this time
For all the people around me
For everything being a teacher to me

SELF-REALIZATION:

Realize again that for every external cause (nyo ze en)
there is first an internal cause (nyo ze in)
Every hurt, anger, frustration, irritation,
or painful situation that
occurs is MY responsibility.
My karma forced that to happen, or forced them to behave that way
I can turn this poison into medicine (hendoku iyaku),
become aware of my own internal "hooks" that
drew such an experience to me.
I, ALONE am responsible for raising my life condition


APOLOGY:

For current slander in Thought, Word, and Action
Let me not want to do it anymore
Daimoku of altruism - chant for the health and
Well-being of the person(s) involved and that
they will deepen their faith. Ask the
Gohonzon, "What can I do to rectify the situation?"

DETERMINATION:

To work harder for Kosen Rufu
To CREATE value in the area of family relations,
school, job, and activities

ONLY AFTER CHANTING FOR ALL OF THE ABOVE, SHOULD YOU CHANT FOR WHAT YOU DESIRE OR WANT TO CHANGE OR ACHIEVE IN YOUR LIFE

No comments: