Mar 2, 2008

Derelict Beauty

This was once a beauty salon called Carmen's. I have driven by the closed down husk of a business countless times over the last 20 years and I cannot remember it being open any during that time.
Today I decided to take some shot of the exterior, because I like the mossy green color, and the fact that nobody has bought the building/land in all this time is intriguing to me.

I was quite surprised as I approached the side door to find it not only open, but also to find the contents of the beauty salon still inside the building.

I had to go in for a peek. I was really surprised at what I found. Not only are the original work stations and chairs still in the building, but it seems like someone has taken shelter in the building recently. If you click on the picture, you will find a couple of cans of corn, a can of sardines and other items used by the occupant.

I went into a few rooms and found that the bathroom had a fresh roll of toilet paper and some bleach. The faded sign on the wall says,"Please throw paper in waste basket, not in commode." It was surprising that there is no bad smell in the place at all, so the water in the bathroom must still be running. It made me a little sad to think that someone is staying there - but even sadder to think that they probably came from a decent enough background to feel compelled to hang the toilet paper and to clean the bathroom with bleach.

No comments: