Nov 26, 2009

Truly Happy Thanksgiving

Thankful for Ada by Stem


Thanksgiving has been a rough holiday for me since I was a kid, but this year, in spite of all of the stress in my life and the strife in the world, I have been feeling pretty hopeful. I'm not sure why, maybe it is the chanting, maybe it is the recent health scare reawakening my awareness of how blessed I am, who knows? It has been an unbelievably difficult year in so many ways, but I am bending and not breaking, and it feels good.

I really am thankful every day for the blessed life I am leading. I am thankful for my family and friends and the support they give me - especially when times are tough. I am thankful for my job and the fact that I love my work and the people I work with. I am thankful for my health and for my practice. I am thankful for the challenges that I face that help me to grow and be a better person.

I got a call from my friend Patty in West Virginia this morning. She let me know that her grandson, the one I tutored when he was 8 years old, is sober for a year now, and he told her this morning that he has good memories of me and the help I gave him when he was struggling to learn to read. I was hard on him, but it paid off, so it was nice to hear that a mitzvah from 20 years ago lives on.

We will meet Mom and Dad at Buca di Beppo later today and enjoy a wonderful meal with the people we love. I will come home and pay bills, and be thankful that the loan came in and we can get to work on the plumbing soon. Today is a wonderful day and I am very thankful to be here to experience it and share it with all of you.

PS. Today, I am eating popcorn - just my way of honoring the Native Americans for giving us all of their land and, of course, popcorn! Thank you!! (sorry about the small pox :( )

No comments: