Dec 30, 2008

Abuelita

Isabel Campos

ISABEL CAMPOS, 93, passed away December 27, 2008. Isabel is survived by her husband of 64 years, Angel Campos; son, Joe A. Campos; daughter, Guadalupe Quintanilla. Also surviving are grandchildren and great-grand-children. Visitation with the family will be from 6:00 until 8:00p.m., Monday, December 29, 2008 at Waltrip Funeral Directors with the Rosary being recited at 7:00 p.m. Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10:00 a.m., Tuesday at St. Jerome Catholic Church, 8825 Kempwood, Rev. Msgr. Dan Scheel, celebrant. Rite of Committal will follow in Woodlawn Garden of Memories. In lieu of flowers memorials may be directed to the Alzheimer's Association, 2242 W. Holcombe Blvd., Houston, TX 77030-2008.

I attended the funeral of my oldest friend's grandmother today. Abuelita is what we all called her, and I always suspected that she spoke more English than she let on she knew. Abuelita had an uncanny knack for popping into Angela's room right at the most inopportune moments. She was the same age as my grandmother when she passed away a few years ago. Her funeral was one of the most positive farewell's I have ever seen, and I have been to more than a few funerals in my lifetime. Abuelita made her own arrangements before she died and they included a mariachi band graveside, which seemed to me to be a very festive and positive way to say goodbye to her. Vaya con Dios, Abuelita. You will be missed.

No comments: