Jan 5, 2005

P.T. Barnum was Absolutely Right!

In my job, I have the opportunity help people with disabilities obtain vocational training, so that they can gain marketable skills and become employed. I am seeing a trend lately that I find disturbing and sad. Several of the consumers I (and my coworkers) work with are requesting training in various medical pseudosciences, including: Iridology, Colonic Irrigation, and Aromatherapy.


Iris and Iridology ChartPosted by Hello

Iridology is the belief that every part of the body has a corresponding "mirror" in a specific part of the eye. People who subscribe to this pseudoscience believe any illness can be diagnosed by looking at the iris of a person's eye.

Colonic irrigation involves infusing up to 20 gallons of water into the colon through the rectum a few pints at a time. This is done to remove all of the contents of the colon to "detoxify" the body. The practicianers of colonic irrigation use a variety of liquids in the cleansing process including herbal mixtures, wheatgrass and coffee. The procedure can lead to death from loss of electrolytes, bacterial contamination, and perforation of the colon (leading to septicemia). The effects of a colonic can be achieved naturally (and much more safely) through increased ingestion of roughage.

Reflexology Chart Posted by Hello

Reflexology is akin to Iridology, substituting feet for eyes. Each part of the foot is supposed to be connected by nerves to a corresponding part of the body. Instead of supplying a diagnosis (as is the case with iridology), reflexology is used to cure a variety of ailments. By massaging (stimulating) different parts of the foot, healing energy can be released, restoring "balance" to the patient's health. While foot massages do not pose a health risk, using a foot massage instead of medical treatment to cure disease can lead to death.

Aromatherapy is also a seemingly harmless treatment for what ails us, but again, there is no scientific proof that it can be substituted for actual medical treatment with any success. Proponents of aromatherapy believe that the essential oils of plants have therapeutic value and if they are used by inhalation or applied to the skin, they can cure one of what ails them. I will be the first to admit that I like and use many products classified as aromatherapeutic, but I chose them because they smell good to me, not because I think they can make me healthier.

It seems to me that my clients (and so many others) are looking for hope, but instead being duped.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I couldn't agree with you more on this subject. In fact the comment that I wanted to post got so long that I bloged it myself over on my site. http://viletask.blogspot.com/