Jan 20, 2005

Murder, Transvestites, and Vengeful Spirits

The most recent three Netflix were Dial 'M' for Murder, Eddie Izzard's 1994 stand up comedy film, Unrepeatable, and Ju-on (The Grudge).
Dial 'M' for Murder
Dial 'M' for Murder is an Alfred Hitchcock film from 1954 starring Grace Kelley, Robert Cummings and Ray Milland. While the film is beautifully filmed in that 1950's style and color and the cast is classic Hitchcock with a leading blonde, and debonair leading men, it seems stilted. In spite of her beauty, I hate to say it, Grace Kelly isn't a very good actress. It's a good thing the prince snatched her up when he did, or other people might have noticed it, too.
Eddie Izzard
Eddie Izzard is one of my favorite comedians from the U.K.. The first time I saw his stand-up was on his HBO special in 1999. I've since seen it several more times and it still makes me guffaw. He retold the history of the world from his perspective and gave a French lesson, that has stuck with me till today. The movie we got was one of his earlier shows and for me it didn't measure up. He spends way too much time talking about his laundry - which may have been funny in 1994, but after his amazing history of the world, it can't really compare. Sadly, I just didn't laugh very much during Unrepeatable.
Ju-on
Ju-on is a Japanese horror film about vengeful spirits killing people who enter a house. It was remaid last year with an American cast starring Sarah Michelle Gellar. While it is full of creepy imagery, it is tedious. Maybe I just didn't get it, but it seemed to me that it is just a never ending viral infection of haunting. No real ending.

No comments: