Jan 16, 2006

TRIO Gone!

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that one of my favorite channels, TRIO, started showing mystery and police shows at night. I thought it was more of TRIO's Brilliant But Cancelled Series, but it turns out that the channel no longer exists and has been replaced by Sleuth, a mystery channel. This is the message I found on the TRIO website:
They had really great programming, so I am glad they are going on to a new incarnation as a Web channel, but I will miss having the TV channel to fall back on when there is nothing but crap on TV.

As much as I already miss TRIO, I think Sleuth will be an interesting channel. Without even realizing it, I started watching Sleuth a couple of weeks ago when I noticed they were running old episodes of Miami Vice. It is really weird to see the fashion, hair and music of that era, having lived it. You find yourself smiling and cringing all at once. I guess it must be the same way our parents feel when they see reruns of Laugh In or That Girl. They have a full line-up of 80's action crime shows including: Simon & Simon, The Equalizer, The A-Team, and Knight Rider. The 90's line-up includes: Homicide; Life on the Streets, Deadline, EZ Streets, Karen Cisco, and LA Dragnet. I think they should hit up the 70's archives and show: MacMillan and Wife, Kojak, The Rockford Files, Kolchek: Night Stalker, Police Story, S.W.A.T., and maybe Baretta thrown in for good measure. Since the shows are coming from the "vaults of NBC Universal," most of these shows will probably never make it into the Sleuth line-up, but at least they are bringing back some of the great ones, like Homicide: Life on the Streets.

No comments: