Jul 24, 2007

Time On Earth


I spent today at work listening to my new Crowded House CD, Time on Earth. As I scanned the liner notes, I noticed that the CD was dedicated to Paul Hester, the long-time drummer from Crowded House. I checked on-line and found that he hung himself in a park in 2005. I cannot believe that I missed the news. It was so odd to think that he was dead for two years before I even knew, but I still spent the day listening to the new CD and mourning the loss. I saw them live in 1991 and I remember how funny/zany/manic Paul Hester was during the show.

The new music is great. The overall sound of the CD is more melancholy than past albums, but it suited my mood today. There is a song that is the most political I have heard by Crowded House, Pour Le Monde.

Pour le monde pas pour la guerre
and I wake up blind
like my dreams were too bright
and I lost my regard
for the good things I had
and the radio was sad.
When you listen for good
in a hope that comes to nothing
cos the liars have moved in
and they believe
their own dark medicine

I still believe that Crowded House lyrics are some of the most poetic words ever to be uttered.

A whisper that can blow a chasm wide
It took us all. It took us all.
Pushed apart the mountains & the tide.
It took us all.

Gorgeous.

2 comments:

da7id said...

are you a bauhaus fan?

finijo said...

I like Bauhaus, but only listen to them when I am in a dark mood. It's not the cheeriest music out there.