Jun 29, 2009

Arrival in Norfolk

Marriott Waterside Bed by Finijo

After arriving at the Marriott Waterside in Norfolk, VA, I found the most wonderful bed waiting for me. This bed is a tie for the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in, which was the Heavenly Bed by Westin. This is the kind of bed you get into and just don't feel like getting out of. I know, this is a lot of praise for a bed, but if you had been there, you would understand.
View from Dinner by Finijo

After being to amped up from caffeine and travel to successfully achieve nap, I decided to go out for dinner. My team had not yet arrived, so I decided to take my camera and my book (Jack Kerouac's On the Road) and set out to find food. In Norfolk, there are not a lot of places open downtown on a Sunday evening, so I settled for Joe's Crab Shack, because it was open and had seating on the deck over looking the water.
Dinner Duck by Finijo
I ordered dinner and started taking a few photos of the restaurant's begging duck when I heard someone calling my name. Two women (Letha and Lauren) I met on the van coming in from the airport were at a nearby table. This was both good news (I would not be eating alone) and bad news, as I had ordered food that I would likely only eat in front of family or close friends - the dreaded steam pot. My reticence at eating a steam pot full of crab legs in front of virtual strangers is two fold. One, I eat more slowly than anyone I know and eating something you have to crack open and remove only slows down the process more. Secondly, the food is really messy and I save my gross eating for the people who have to love me anyway. I guess it worked out, because I finished dinner about the time they finished desert and I was invited to dine with them again the next night.

Whaling Wall #47 by Wyland Foundation - photo by Finijo
I took this shot of “Humpbacks off the Virginia Coast” located on the Dominion Towers 999 Waterside Drive Norfolk, Virginia from the deck outside of the pool at the Marriott Waterside. It is 280 Feet Long x 80 Feet High and dedicated to Jacques Cousteau - August 23rd, 1993. This was the first sighting of a lot of art located around downtown Norfolk. From the research I have done, the mural appears to be going by two different names (hence the two names in my post).

No comments: