Feb 16, 2008

Retirement Party

Retirement Party

I hugged a dying man today,
at his retirement party.
He smiled as though he believed,
all was right with the world.
I felt the weight of gravity,
pulling us all into the Earth.
He spoke of loving life,
every minute a precious treasure.
I saw his bravery,
in the face of the end.
He spoke of his family,
both at home and at work.
I thought to myself,
I do not want a retirement party.
He graciously greeted each guest,
spoke of good and hard times shared.
I will have no opportunity,
to know the dying man.
He explained, "In the end,
I barely knew myself."
I wonder what I will miss
as he retires from work and life.
He talked of how he made peace
with the end of his life.
How he would enjoy and truly live
every last minute that he is allowed.
He talked of learning, almost too late
to enjoy life and not to work too hard.

I hugged a dying man today.
Today, the last time I will see him,
no time left for him to know me.
The next time I hear his name
will be when after he is gone.

No comments: