Oct 20, 2007

Strange Dream


I woke up this morning in the middle of an odd, but vivid dream. What I can remember is as follows:

I am walking through a cemetery barefooted in a white cotton nightgown in the Autumn, during the gloaming. I know, how else would you walk through a cemetery on a chilly evening? In the dream, have the feeling the cemetery is in Galveston, but it looks like it could be a cemetery in Virginia.
As I'm walking, the ground/atmosphere around me starts to quake. The effect in the dream is like a Japanese horror film (think Ju-on) with shaky cam, light flashes, and frames skipping. Suddenly, it feels like something unseen has grabbed me around the waist and is pulling me backwards into a pit that is still forming even as I am being pulled into it. I am facing up and reaching out to nothing as I am very quickly engulfed by the pit. I was afraid while it was happening, but I don't think I cried out. As dreams go, this was not the most fearful I have been. After I go under, it's quiet for a moment, then I see myself emerge in the distance from the dusk. I am dressed in slacks and a blouse now, and I'm walking with a man who is middle aged and looks like a detective from a British TV show. He's tall and thin, and wears a black trench coat and matching hat. We are looking for the me in the nightgown who has disappeared. The me that is searching is not afraid, but I am concerned for the me that has disappeared, and I am feeling a sense of urgency in my quest. I know I have a limited amount of time to save myself. As we walk along, not speaking, we pass a large monument of a man on a horse. The the horse is up on his hind legs and I think the rider of the horse has a saber, so it looks like a Civil War monument. The pedestal is as tall as I am and the horse and rider are life sized, so the monument is very large. I notice something at the base of the monument that makes me go back, but the man with me continues walking. I start to pull at the grass which moves easily to reveal loose soil. Then I start using my hands to dig in the soft earth, revealing a large root system, but there are no trees near the monument. I call for the man to come back and help me as I start pulling at the roots, unearthing them more easily that I thought I could. As the man is returning, I continue to dig and pull, all the while, I am wondering how long I can survive underground. Then I realize I am dreaming and I start to think about changing the construct of the dream to ensure my survival. At this point, the man is approaching me and he is about fifteen feet from where I am struggling to dig myself out, I can see him enter the frame and I am viewing the scene from a detached perspective behind him as he walks towards me. I am now sure that I have survived, but I know I need to keep digging. As the man approaches me, I wake up from the dream.
I don't think I remember ever having a dream with two of me. I've had many dreams where I was someone else or I morphed into someone else , but inside, I knew it was me. Having myself in two distinct personas is something I will have to ponder...

2 comments:

da7id said...

do you think your could record yourself restating everything you remember about this dream and email me the mp3 please? i think it could prove useful in music and would be very very cool.

finijo said...

David, you are just the coolest. I'd be happy to. I have a digital recorder (mini), but it's a pain to use. I can try. If you have another form of recorder, that might work better. Let me know...