Oct 18, 2007

Broken

Broken Phoenix by Finijo


Some say there is beauty in imperfection. Upon that premise, I state that I believe this is the most beautiful broken window ever to exist. When the pane cracked, it was like a phoenix coming out of the ashes. During a particularly fabulous wind storm, we opened the sealed windows in our dorm. Opening windows was strictly verboten, for fear of a student taking a drunken dive out of the window. All was well until I left the room and then re-entered, causing a vacuum that sucked the window violently shut. My roommate and I freaked out, because it was so loud and all of the glass flew out into the courtyard twelve stories below. We were relieved that there was nobody standing below in the courtyard, which was probably due to the vortex swirling below in the windstorm. At the time, I was on the Arts floor in Jester I, so when word got out about the window, I ended up with every artist on the floor in my room sketching the window, including me. A few hours later, when the repairman came, I lied like a dog and swore that the window was never open. I was sure I couldn't afford the repair bill and knew I couldn't face the folks, if the bill got sent directly to them. Either he didn't care, or he was sleep walking through his job, because he never asked why the glass didn't end up all over the room. Anyway, I do believe in the beauty of imperfection. Before the storm came it was just a window to the world, but after it shattered, for a brief time, it was a work of art.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your opening statement reminds me of one of my favorite Baudelaire quotes: "that which is not slightly distorted lacks sensible appeal: from which it follows that irregularity - that is to say, the unexpected, surprise and astonishment, are an essential part and characteristic of beauty"
Great photo and story. -M

finijo said...

Now you've done it - I'm going to have to read Baudelaire. That is a beautiful quote.