Oct 12, 2007

Irrational Fears

Dread Head by MEG


I have a few of irrational fears. My first fear is of snakes, and it is probably more of a phobia than a fear. Truth be told, I'm not convinced that it is really irrational. My snake fear stems from a particularly awful nightmare (buried up to my neck in snakes) when I was about 10. I think this fear was formed while I was reading How to Eat Fried Worms.

My second fear is of snot. This is not a phobia, but it's close. Mucous in any form turns my stomach. I hate the look of it and the sound of it. Blech! I know this fear stems from "the mashed potato incident" (I won't go into it) in first grade and the "Troy W********/metal shop Incident" in 7th grade - GAG! Irrational, but well founded in horrid experiences.

My last fear is of dreadlocks. I don't know why, but they have always creeped me out. I've heard from so many people that they aren't dirty - but damn, they seem dirty. I've worked with people who had dreads before, and they were all nice enough people. The only negative personal experience I've had has been when one of my clients left part of one behind when he left my office. I thought I had a dead mouse on my office floor - yuck! So, all of this is leading up to a picture that Marilyn took while on the bus this evening. Apparently, this is a dread - of sorts. I guess it's more of a dread head, than a dread lock. It looks like a matted rabid dog is shooting out of this guy's head. I don't even know what else to say.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I'm sorry but any hair that can be "left behind" is nasty.