Sep 30, 2007

Happy Anniversary!

View From The Inside at Casa Mantequilla by Finijo

Several times this weekend I have found myself sitting at the computer, looking out into the back yard and marveling that we have been in the house for a little over a year now. It is an amazing feeling to have someplace to live that is your own. I don't think there are words that could convey how good it feels, it has to be experienced.

I've been up early the last two days and watched the sun come up, enjoying the view from the inside. With the way my mind has been racing lately, it's been nice to get up early, enjoy coffee and jazz and be very still first thing in the morning.

Yesterday, I watched the rain pour down and quench my thirsty garden. All that was wilted and tired is now turgid and beaming. For the last year, I have had the extreme pleasure seeing doves, blue jays, cardinals, and finches soar through my back yard. Sometimes joyously bathing in the birdbath, and sometimes doing acrobatics and playing games that only other birds know the rules to. I've been amazed at the myriad butterflies that do their aerial dances as they flit through the garden. We've gotten used to the carpenter bees, who've bored holes in our pergola and our new friends the spinybacked orb weavers. There is only one spinyback left now, and we've named him Eugene. I haven't seen the rats in a while, but I'm sure they are lurking about. It's been Spring since we saw the opossums, but the squirrels are ever present. They scurry along the fence, climb into potted plants and run through the trees and across the power lines in ways that seem to defy physical laws. Our favorite squirrel is named Fat Ass - King of the Squirrels. He's the biggest, fattest squirrel I've ever seen. When he climbs the trees, the span of his posterior is close to six inches across - what a marvel. Just a few minutes ago, we dubbed another squirrel - Joan of Oak. She is very brave and took several shots at getting into the new solar bird feeder we hung over the patio. Joan took a dive at the bird feeder , which rapidly spun her around until she flew off into the yard.

Today, I think I will wash the windows for a clearer view.

No comments: