Mar 3, 2007

Sleeping Beauty?


I found a print at The Guild Shop that I really like a lot. I have never seen anything quite like it, so if you know what it is from, please let me know. I am guessing that it is a reproduction of woodblock print from some edition of Sleeping Beauty. This illustration seems odd to me for a few reasons. The first reason is that the character that I think depicts the prince is so very effeminate, and the second is that he is naked. I don't recall the prince being naked in any version of Sleeping Beauty that I have read. I thought at first that it might be Romeo and Juliet, but Romeo is only naked in one scene in that story and it's not the one where Juliet is sleeping fully clothed. Another thing that seemed strange to me is the triangular tree in the background. It measures about 18" X 26"

No comments: