Mar 16, 2007

Eureka! Aubrey Beardsley

The Platonic Lament

I finally figured it out - my print is an Art Nouveau stone lithograph by Aubrey Beardsley. It's called The Platonic Lament and it is from Oscar Wilde's Salome. I took the print into Michael's today to buy a frame and matting for it. The counter girl who helped me said she thought it looked like a French Art Nouveau lithograph. She suggested it was a stone litho, rather than a wood cut, and it turns out she was mostly right. I never heard of Aubrey Beardsley before today, but after some searching on the net for Art Nouveau lithographs, I found some prints that seemed to be by the same artist who made my print. I looked through page after page of Beardsley's work and eventually found my print, The Platonic Lament.

http://www.victorianweb.org/art/illustration/beardsley/works.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please take good care of this one. Although it will not make you wealthy, it is marketable--as long as it is in good condition, you could sell it to a knowledgeable dealer. Beardsley is very popular among some collectors. Don't hang it in the sunlight.

finijo said...

Thanks for the advice. I really love it, and I have been looking for another one of the same size (16 in X 22 in), but all of the prints I have seen are about half of that size. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them...