Jul 29, 2006

Ender's Game


Marilyn read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and raved about it, so I picked it up and was immediately caught up in the fantastic story of a boy genius who is destined to save the world from an alien race called buggers. Ender's Game is touted as one of the best sci-fi books ever written, and it may be. I was amazed at how a book originally written in 1977 could so accurately portray so many things that have come to pass, like the use of things like video games to train soldiers and the use of the Internet to disseminate political messages. The story of Ender Wiggins, the 6 year old genius who goes to Battle School to learn how to become a great commander, is both wrenching and exhilarating. It is difficult to read about a 6 year old who is isolated and alienated by adults who are trying to mold him into a killing machine. Overall, I enjoyed Ender's Game, but I found the sequences in which the adults in Battle School talked about Ender's treatment rang false to me. I would still recommend it and I plan to read the sequels and go see the movie when it is released in 2008.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did I tell you that my coworker was a Marine and he said it was required reading when he was in the service?