May 28, 2005

Meet the Fockers, All About My Mother, and Blazing Saddles



Meet the Fockers was as funny as Meet the Parents; which it to say it was funny, but not hilarious. Meet the Fockers picks up the story at the point that engaged couple, played by Ben Stiller and Teri Polo, are taking a road trip with the bride-to-be's parents, played by Blythe Danner and Robert DeNiro. Stiller's parents are played by Dustin Hoffman and Barbara Streisand, and I enjoyed their performances much more than I expected to. So much so, that I could see them making a third installment with them starring instead of in supporting roles.

All About My Mother is one of Pedro Almodovar's best films. It's beautifully written and filmed. All of the actors in the film give perfecl performances. The story is of a single mother who's son was fathered by a man who left her and became a transvestite. The subplots include an aging actress, the plots of Streetcar Named Desire and All About Eve, a pregnant nun and another transvestite. This mix, believe it or not, is so beautifully handled that I found myself laughing and crying all the way through the film. Great film and great cast. Definitely see this one.

Blazing Saddles is a film I saw years ago when it came on cable in the 80's, but for the life of me I couldn't remember much of it. It's also one the most acclaimed Mel Brooks films, but seeing it again after so many years, it doesn't seem very funny at all. Blazing Saddles is the story of a corrupt politician's in the Old West who appoint a black sheriff, so that the town's folk will hate him so much that they will leave the town. I really like Mel Brooks (History of the World Part I and the 1000 Year Old Man), but this film was a bust for me as an adult. The racial jokes weren't funny, the sex jokes weren't funny and the fart jokes weren't funny. Blech!

No comments: