Mar 31, 2019

Kondoing




Have you ever looked around and thought your life, your home, and your mind were cluttered? I started off this year without resolutions beyond working some jigsaw puzzles and try to enjoy myself more. The feeling of being bogged down mentally and physically kept creeping in, and the next thing I knew, I had set up my goals system (something I have used since I was 20) and plotted out the next 10 years of my life. I was faithful in doing this for decades, but I think the years after Hurricane Harvey were so overwhelming, that I let it slide, and I just coasted.

Just as I roused from my malaise, I kept hearing the name "Marie Kondo" everywhere. I found her show on Netflix and it was the final push I needed. I have been "Kondoing" my home (and life) for the last few weeks and it is clearing the cobwebs (literally and figuratively). I only wish I started this a few years ago. I am not completely faithful to her model, but what I have taken away from her method is working very well for me. I started in my bedroom and managed to unload about 2/3 of my clothes. Putting all that you own in a mound on your bed is a shocking way to come to the realization that there is such a thing as "too much." 

After donations to Goodwill, I tackled my papers and found the bottom of that pile (finally), making it more manageable month to month now. I took a couple of boxes to a shredding event that is held by a church every few months, and for a $15 dollar donation and some dry goods for the homeless, they poured my papers into a shredding truck and destroyed them on site - a win-win.

Now each month is devoted to clearing out and updating a different room. I did bathrooms in March and April will be the Kitchen., etc... until I'm done. I am looking forward to getting to my studio/Gohonzon room at the other end of the house. It will signify that I am done with this process, and also free that room up for me to enjoy again for painting and meditation. 

After a rough 2018, this feels like the physical and mental exercise/exorcise that will help make 2019 more palatable. Since 2019 gives all indications of being as bad or worse that its predecessor, I think we will all need to do everything we can to buckle up (and down) to prepare for the bumpy ride that most certainly awaits. 

1 comment:

David said...

Great post. Have you seen the stories about pawn shops having to stop turning away stuff because so many people did this after the Netflix show came out? Pretty wild. We could certainly do with some Kondoing at my house, but I'm actually pretty comfortable with the amount of clothing and such that I have. Katy on the other hand...