Jun 27, 2015

SCOTUS - For The People!

Facebook Profile Pic by Finijo

This week the Supreme Court of the United States made the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) legitimate and legalized gay marriage by nullifying the state laws that barred marriage equality for people who are gay. There are a lot of weeks that I question my government and think that the government and many of our citizens are on a path of hatred and aggression. This week is not one of them. This week I am proud that the judicial branch of our government protected citizens who needed the protection and who could not receive it any other way. 

The dissenters are as follows:

Obamacare - Scalia, Alito, Thomas, and Kennedy

Gay marriage: Scalia, Alito, Thomas, and Roberts

I am troubled that both decisions were won with only a 5 to 4 vote, but I am not surprised that it all of the dissenters were men, and I am really not surprised that Scalia, Alito, and Thomas all voted like conservative old men afraid of change. 

Today I am focusing on the positive, so I am grateful and ecstatic that the SCOTUS vote went the way of love, rather than bigotry and fear. 

I know there will be protests and that there will likely be violence in the wake of these decisions, but change is happening, and today I am hopeful. 

No comments: