Aug 11, 2007

I Made the FACE

Unagi
I met Dawn for dinner last night at Little Miyako in Meyerland. We were looking at the menu and I told her that I love California roll, but I don't like the sushi with fish. Dawn started describing how much she enjoys unagi, which is barbecued eel. Her eyes got big and she said, "You are making the face! You never make the face. Now you have to try unagi." I couldn't deny that my face had, in fact, contorted in disgust. The thought of eating eel actually turned my stomach in a way that few things can. Over the years, it has been Dawn that made The Face. I would suggest that we get Thai food or Indian food, and she would wrinkle her nose and make the face, then I would say, "Now you have to try it." She usually ended up adding a new type of food to her diet after trying something she thought was repulsive.

Now, for the first time, I was in that position. Believe it or not, it was kind of exciting. So I tried the unagi and LOVED it. It was a wonderful flavor and the texture was almost creamy. Unagi is delicious. I also tried crunchy maki at Dawn's suggestion, which is a lot like a California roll, but it has crunchy tempura pieces and roe, making it a little sweet and crunchy.

So, I have two more things to say:

Steve, I'm sorry I didn't listen to you. You were right - unagi is great. The next time we have sushi, I will try whatever you recommend.

Dawn, Thank you for playing the "you have to try it" card. I liked it so much that we ordered sushi for lunch today (I found a place that delivers) and I ordered unagi and crunchy roll. I even got Connor to try the unagi and he liked it, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you made the face?! something disgusted YOU?! :D

Anonymous said...

I have read this several times and laugh each time I read it out loud! It took me over 20 years to get you to make the face that I am sure I created out you. Can't wait to see you for sushi again soon.