Sep 19, 2004

Hell's Window


Hell's Window Posted by Hello

For weeks now, through the use of subtle merchandising techniques (over kill), retail stores have been telling me that Halloween is close at hand. So, I thought I would post about one of my favorite things in Houston, a kind of year-round reminder of Halloween. St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church was remodeled a few years ago, and the result included the addition of the window pictured above. It is pretty creepy to see the skeletal figure looming spider-like above the damned. The fact that it is in a church window facing a busy intersection makes it wonderfully ironic. The method used to etch the window (EORR) causes it to only be visible in the right conditions, like an optical illusion. It is located below the stained glass windows done by Wilbur H. Burnham called "Ascension" and "Resurrection. They are brightly colored and vivid in comparison to the depictions of Hell below them and Heaven above them.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I agree that the window is pretty creepy. However, the statue just around the corner from the window is equally as disturbing to me. The robed figure seems to levitate about four feet off the ground under its own supernatural power. Whenever I drive by, it's all I can do to keep my eyes on the road and not on that statue. I know its there waiting to give me another freight, but I can't help and sneak a peek at it each time I pass by.